Thinking to apply for a Voter ID? The Election Commission of India issues a voter ID Card to every citizen whose age is above 18 years. Once an individual attains 18 years, they’re permitted to apply for a Voter ID or Election Card. A voter ID Card is a mandatory identity proof for an individual to cast his/her vote during the democratic elections in India. Voter ID Card holders can use this as identification proof for various government-related schemes and loans. A few years back, there was only a provision to apply for a voter ID Card before an election (regional/national). But now, with the rapid advancement in technology, almost everything has gone digital, The Indian Government allows citizens to Voter ID Apply Online Mode. Here is a detailed guide that explains the process of Voter ID Online Registration. Have a look!
Documents Required For Applying Voter ID Online
To apply for a Voter ID Apply Online, you need to upload a few vital documents. A Voter ID Card is also known as the Electronic Photo Identity Card (EPIC). It is an important identity document issued by the Election Commission of India to Indian citizens aging is above 18 years. A Voter ID Card acts as identity proof in different circumstances for various purposes like applying for a passport, applying for a loan, buying a SIM Card, and more. People seeking to apply for a Voter ID Card online must submit valid documents. Here’s the list of essential Documents Required For Applying Voter ID Online. Check it out!
- Identity Proof of the Applicant (PAN Card/Passport/Driving Licence/Birth Certificate/SSC Marksheet)
- Passport Size Photograph (One)
- Address Proof (Passport/any of the Utility Bills/Ration Card/Driving License)
Before proceeding to apply for a Voter ID Card Online Apply, make sure you have the original and Xerox copies of the aforementioned documents.
How to Apply For Voter ID Online At voterportal.eci.gov.in.
Individuals can easily apply for a Voter ID Card both online and offline. Compared to offline, most people these days prefer Voter ID Registration online. It simplifies the application procedure and the applicants need not stand in long queues and wait for hours to apply for a Voter ID Card. The procedure to apply for a new Voter ID through online mode is quite simple. If you are Wondering How to Apply For Voter ID Online? Through this in-depth guide, we explain the easy process for Voter ID application online. Check it out!
Step 1: Visit the Website
- First of all, visit the official website of the Election Commission of India Voter Portal i.e., at voterportal.eci.gov.in.
- On the home page of the website, you can find the login section.
Step 2: Create Account & Login
- If you aren’t an existing user, you need to create an account.
- Click on the link ‘Create an Account’ displayed on the home page.
- On the popup screen, you will be asked to enter your 10-digit mobile number.
- In case, if you’re an overseas elector, just tick the checkbox at the top.
- Click on the button ‘Send OTP’.
- Your mobile number will receive an OTP. Enter the same in the given fields.
- Enter the 6-digit OTP.
- You will be asked to create a new password on the next screen.
- Enter your new password. Make sure it’s a strong password and remember it for further usage.
- Enter the new password twice for confirmation.
- You must enter the random Captcha in the next field.
- Click on the button ‘Create Account’.
- You can find a message that reads ‘Congratulations! You have successfully created your account on Voter Portal.’
- Further, you need to tick the checkbox to accept all the terms and policies.
- Click on the ‘Welcome’ button.
Step 3: Profile Details
- Update your profile information such as your name, surname, email ID, state, and gender.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Step 4: Voter ID Online Registration
- On the next screen, you can find the option ‘New Voter Registration’. Click on it.
- Click on the button ‘Let’s Start’ at the bottom of the page.
- On the next screen, it asks you whether you’re applying for the Voter ID first time or not.
- Below that, you can find two options i.e., ‘Yes, I am applying for the first time’ and ‘No, I already have Voter ID’.
- Click on the option ‘Yes, I am applying for the first time’.
- Click on the button ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 5: Choose your State
- Further, choose a relevant option i.e., ‘Yes, I am an Indian Citizen’. Click on ‘Save & Continue’.
- On the next screen, you need to select your state, district, and assembly constituency from the drop-down menu. Hit the button ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 6: Birth Information
- On the next screen, you will be asked to fill in your birth details.
- Enter your place of birth, state, and district.
- Select your date of birth in the format [YYYY, MM, and DD] from the drop-down menu.
- In the next field, select your date of birth document type from the drop-down menu. From the given options, you can choose anyone.
- The options include Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, Driving License, Birth Certificate issued by the municipal authority or local body, Indian Passport, 10th/12th certificate, and others.
- In the next step, upload the document that you’ve selected by tapping the button ‘Upload’.
- Further, click on the option ‘Select file to upload’.
- Check the preview of your document and hit the option ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 7: Provide Personal Details
- On the next page, you need to fill in your personal details.
- On the top of the screen, you can find the option ‘Upload Picture’.
- Click on the option to upload your photo. Make necessary changes to the photo and click on the option ‘Upload’.
- By default, your gender will be selected.
- Enter your name, and surname in the provided fields.
- Further, tick the checkbox next to the option ‘Yes, I have Aadhaar Number’ in case you have an Aadhaar number.
- Otherwise, you can tick the checkbox ‘I am not able to furnish my Aadhaar Number because I don’t have an Aadhaar Number’.
- If you have your Aadhaar Number, enter the same in the given field.
- Further, you need to select an option regarding your disability [if any]
- Otherwise, just tick the checkbox ‘No Diability’.
- Click on the button ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 8: Mention Family Details
- On the next page, enter your family member’s details such as the Voter ID number of your family member.
- Enter your family member’s name and surname.
- Select the relation type of your family member from the below options. Click on the button ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 9: Residence Info
- On the next page, enter your current address details. It includes your house number, street or locality, post office, town/village, Mandal, and the area type.
- Enter the PIN Code in the next field.
- Select your constituency on the map or manually.
- If you’re confused about selecting the constituency through the map, just the constituency name manually.
- Further, select your address proof from the drop-down menu i.e., Aadhaar Number, Passport, Gas Connection Bill, Electricity bill, and others.
- Upload the relevant document that you have selected in the previous option.
- After uploading the document, click on the button ‘Save & Continue’.
Step 10: Declaration
- The final step is accepting the declaration.
- You need to select the year and month when you’re residing at the aforementioned address.
- Below that, enter the place and the applicant’s name from the given fields. Hit the button ‘Save & Continue’.
- On the next screen, you can find your application form for New Voters displayed with all your details including your photo.
- Verify all the details and whether they are correct or not.
- If there are any mistakes in the application form, you can click on the button ‘Edit Form’.
- After checking the details, scroll down to the bottom of the form and click on the button ‘Submit’.
Step 11: Form Submission
- After submitting the application form successfully, you can find a message that states ‘Congratulations, you have submitted the form for voter registration successfully.’
- Below that, you can find your application reference ID. Also, you’ll receive the reference ID on your mobile number and email ID.
Step 12: Track Application Status
- Using the reference ID, you can easily track the status of the application.
- Using the reference ID, you can track the progress of your Voter ID application form from the official website.
- For instance, when you check the progress, it shows the application Submitted, BLO Appointed, Field Verified, Accepted, and EPIC Generated. These are the levels involved that indicate the progress of the application form.
That’s all! This is the easy procedure for a New Voter ID card Apply Online.
How to Apply For Voter ID Offline?
Wondering How to Apply For Voter ID Offline? If you don’t have access to the internet then, you can prefer the offline procedure for New Voter ID Registration. You can get the New Voter ID Registration application form from the Electoral Registration Officer or Assistant Electoral Registration Officer in your constituency. You need not pay any charges for the application form. Otherwise, you can also download the Voter ID Application Form from the official website of the Election Commission.
Fill in the Voter ID application form with relevant details manually. After filling out the application form, you can submit the same to the Electoral Registration Officer or Assistant Electoral Registration Officer in your constituency. Submit the form alongside a few supporting documents. You can even send the application form and the necessary documents through the post. You can find the postal address on the official website of the Election Commission. We’ve already mentioned the list of Documents Required For Applying Voter ID offline.
Once you have submitted the application form, the booth-level officer will visit your residence for address verification. Your Application form will be placed on the ERO’s Notice Board welcoming any objections. If there are any objections, they will have a one-week window. Once this period is finished, your name will be included in the electoral roll. You will get a notice intimating whether your name is included in the electoral roll or not through the post and via SMS on your mobile number. On the official website of the state’s Chief Electoral Officer, you can view the electoral rolls.
Eligibility Criteria for Applying Voter ID in India
The individuals seeking to apply for Voter ID must fulfill the eligibility conditions. In this post, we have mentioned the Eligibility Criteria For Applying Voter ID. Check it out!
- Applicant must be an Indian Citizen.
- The age of applicant must be 18 years and above.
- The applicant should have a permanent residential address.
That’s all! This is everything you need to know about the Voter ID Online Registration process. We hope that this article has given adequate information about the procedure of How to Apply For Voter ID Online and Offline. We have mentioned the eligibility criteria and the required documents to apply for the Voter ID Card. If you still have any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section. Be in touch with our website INDonline for more articles related to Voter ID Registration, Property Tax details, banking services, and more.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions along with answers. Check it out!
1. Can Anyone Apply For A Voter ID Online?
Yes, individuals can easily apply for a Voter ID online i.e., from the state’s official website of the Election Commission of India.
2. Can I Apply for a Duplicate Voter ID card If My Original Document Gets Lost?
Yes, individuals can apply for a Duplicate Voter ID Card via the official website of the Voter Service Portal if the original document gets lost. Before applying for the card, you need to complain to the nearest police station where you lost the Voter ID. In addition, you must fill up Form Number 2 and submit the necessary documents.